The reasons it’s become so ubiquitous with large and small users is its price — free for basic features — and its simplicity — for those in the know, it takes you from nothing to a fully-functional dynamic website in under 5 minutes. WordPress also has a great design system as well as abundant and free plugins that add functionality.
So when you’re ready to really work on your website, unless you’ve got a good reason not to, WordPress is probably your best bet.
- If you want a blog. The No. 1 question I get asked by prospective clients is “Can you add a blog to my website?” Yes, I can do that, and in the process, I can make the rest of your website much easier for you to use and update as well.
- If you don’t want a blog. “Isn’t WordPress just blog software?” Yes, but that’s just semantics. WordPress is 10 years old this year, and in that decade has grown powerful and feature-rich. Out of the box, sure, it’s just a blog, but in the hands of a talented professional geek, it can look like and do almost anything, while maintaining an easy-to-use back-end interface.
- If you want to maintain your old design. If you like how your website looks, but you want your website to be easier to update, a geek can build you a WordPress theme that’s virtually indistinguishable from your current site.
- If you want a complete redesign. Many great theme designers are out there ready to craft your dream website, or you can choose from about a zillion ready-made themes from a wide variety of reputable websites. You can even split the difference by starting with a theme and modifying it to fit your needs.
- If you have a limited budget. If you’re willing to do the work yourself, you’re golden. WordPress is free. Lots of themes are free. Heaps of plugins are free. Even when themes and plugins aren’t free, they rarely cost more than $100. If you’d rather pay someone else to do it, a knowledgeable WordPress geek can get a lot done on a small budget.
- If you have a large budget. When it’s time to really invest in your business website, you want to maximize your ROI, right? WordPress lets you prioritize design, interface, features and functionality, which determine how your site looks and what it does, by starting with a fully functional platform. The alternative is paying money to re-invent the wheel and build a website from scratch that does all the things WordPress already does before you even get to adding the good stuff.
- If your website isn’t showing up in Google results. Out of the box, WordPress is the standard for SEO that all other systems aspire to, and it can be made better with good content and good SEO enhancement plugins.
- If your site needs to look good. Visually, the biggest problem older websites tend to have is inconsistency. Over time, things get added, different people make updates, and eventually your site becomes a conglomerated mess. WordPress enforces its look through themes, and uses themes to style and format whatever you publish, so everything on your site looks the way it’s supposed to, automatically.
- If you’re tired of paying other people to make changes. You don’t need to know how to code to use WordPress, though it’s helpful if you’re familiar with a word processor such as Microsoft Word. The interface is easy to use, and changes or updates are published to your site instantly.
- If you’re trying to think long-term. Your website, and especially the content on your website, is an asset to your company. WordPress isn’t going anywhere, but you might, so if you decide some time down the road to migrate to a different platform, the sheer ubiquity of WordPress means you’ll always be able to migrate all of your assets to another platform relatively painlessly.
- If you want to be one of the cool kids. We have a WordPress website and pretty much everyone else does too. Don’t you want to be cool like us?
Reputation Capital Media Services is a Baton Rouge marketing agency that helps B2B companies and their marketing agencies produce high-quality digital content, including blog posts, e-mail newsletters, white papers and multimedia. Our editors and writers are experts in their fields, which include HR technology, employee benefits, and financial services and accounting. Contact us for a free 30-minute consultation to find out how great content can help you attract and retain your customers.