Some good qualities for LinkedIn groups are:
- A high comment-to-discussion ratio.
- Active moderation from group leaders, especially common in branded groups.
- Discussion topics that do not always begin with blog article links.
- Involvement in discussion from group owners/managers.
Of the 20 groups we surveyed, these four groups stood out for quality:
- B2B Lead Roundtable. This group focuses on the lead and demand generation part of the marketing process. It’s ideal for strategists who are directly responsible for driving sales. Some current hot topics in the group are lead nurturing, increasing conversions and CRM strategy. Roundtable is one of the larger groups on the list, with more than 12,000 members. Large groups are harder to moderate. However, Roundtable’s discussion-to-comments ratio is consistently low, indicating that people are talking, not simply promoting their new posts.
- Content Marketing Institute. Branded groups are good because they tend to be better maintained. CMI Magazines’ group is a general content marketing forum, with topics ranging from lead gen to social media strategy. There is a heavy focus on CMI events, such as the organization’s annual Content Marketing World conference, but there is still plenty of valuable non-branded discussion.
- The Content Wrangler Community. One of the older communities in the list (est. 2007), this group runs some solid numbers in terms of population, comments and discussion. It’s another good all-rounder with great general content. Content Wrangler displays another good sign of a healthy community: front page discussions that begin with something other than links to blog posts or articles. Many posts begin by posing the audience questions, which facilitates conversation better than post-linking. Also, the group owner Scott Abel stays pretty active in the conversations, and his presence is beneficial to the community.
- Hubspot Partners Forum. This group is targeted at individuals and agencies who receive training, certification and software from the Hubspot agency. However, even non-Hubspot Partners are allowed to join and can benefit from the content. Look for conversations on innovative strategies content strategies, such as outsourcing and marketing software tools.
What are your favorite LinkedIn groups for B2B contenting marketing?