- SEO. Google +1’s and shares are weighted heavily for page rank. Funny story: Cyrus Shephard, in a blog post to SEOmoz, said that he was surprised to learn that his G+ content outranked both his SEOMoz articles and his own blog.
- Author-rank building. G+ is the main influencing factor on Author Rank, which is expected to affect page rank in the near future.
- Fast content indexing. Content posted to G+ is indexed faster than if it were published to a site and left alone.
If you’re already on G+, there’s a good chance that you might be a little bored. Google+ can be a pretty sleepy place.
But not if you know where to look. Here are a few tips to show you how to build a Google+ account that’s as addictive as your Facebook feed:
- Build your followers. Use FindPeopleOnPlus to find which of your LinkedIn Connections or Twitter contacts are active on G+, so that you can follow and get followed by them. You can also search for people to add by criteria such as geography, age, and industry.
- Join content marketing communities. SEO and Content Marketing Masters and Content Marketing and Social Media are good places to share your content. Content Marketing Institute also has a small but solid community with active moderation.
- Populate your stream with useful information. Likely, not all of your favorite bloggers are active on G+ yet, but here’s a short list of quality content-creators and industry leaders you might want to follow:
- Brush up on your SEO knowledge. The SEO and technology communities of Google+ are one of my favorite things about the network. SEOs, unlike content creators, flocked to the platform early, and their discussions are active and interesting. I recommend joining the Technical SEO and Search Engine Land communities.
- Increase convenience and build functionality by using tools.
- Disable “recommended posts” from your homescreen. Google displays posts on your feed that it thinks you may like just because they are popular. “Be who you are and say what you feel,” was an inspirational post I got from none other than Paris Hilton. If you don’t want Paris to inspire you, go here quickly and move the slider at the top right all the way to the left.
Reputation Capital Media Services is a Baton Rouge marketing agency that helps B2B companies and their marketing agencies produce high-quality digital content, including blog posts, e-mail newsletters, white papers and multimedia. Our editors and writers are experts in their fields, which include HR technology, employee benefits, and financial services and accounting. Contact us for a free 30-minute consultation to find out how great content can help you attract and retain your customers.
Leave a Reply
Sign Up for Our Email Newsletter
Download the White Paper
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- Content Marketing News Roundup: LinkedIn Publishing for All Edition
- How Much Should You Spend on Marketing?
- Content Marketing For Startups: An Interview with Boogie Graphics CEO Jacques Bastien
- Credit Union Content Marketing: How Neighbors FCU Found Success Through Blogging
- 4 Steps to Writing Great Press Releases