The toughest part in getting started with content marketing is setting up the foundation. Learning how to create a blog is part of that, especially since most businesses aren’t in the business of writing. But, blogging is one of the best places to start in content marketing and is one of the best ways to provide value and information to potential customers. Here’s how to create a b2b blog from scratch.
Determine Your Level of Commitment
The biggest mistake businesses make with their blogs is that they see the blog as another marketing campaign that’s one and done, instead of a continuous commitment. When you start your blog, you need to determine your level of commitment, or how often you want to publish posts. Twice a week is optimum, as it’s enough to keep potential customers engaged without being too much for your company to handle. More is better, but anything less than once a week is pointless. Determine the level of commitment that works for you.
Set Goals for Your B2B Blog
Before you write your first post, you need to know what your company hopes to achieve with the blog. Do you want to build brand awareness? Generate more leads? Position the company as a thought leader? Get more traffic? Whatever the case may be, set the goals of your B2B blog, and then get to writing and thinking about topics. Otherwise, you can write the best blog posts in the world, but your company wouldn’t have any idea if those blog posts are doing what they are supposed to be doing.
What Are You Going to Write About?
Most B2B companies aren’t in the business of writing, and that can make the process of how to create a blog very difficult to do and to sustain. The next step, after determining your level of commitment, is figuring out what the B2B blog is going to be about. To do think, here’s a list of questions and things to consider that can help you come up with topics that would be valuable to you as well as the potential customer:
- What keywords do you want to rank for? What keywords are people using to find you? Create content around those keywords.
- What questions to people commonly ask your salespeople? Answer them in blog posts.
- What problems are you trying to solve for your customers? Discuss them and their solutions.
- What are your competitors writing about? Write about those topics too, and do it better!
- What information do your customer needs to be successful with your products/services? Provide that information.
Follow these steps, and you’ll know how to create a b2b blog and how to create a blog that will be successful. Just about anyone can open an account on WordPress or on Blogger and start publishing. However, these steps will ensure that your new B2B blog will accomplish what you need it to accomplish while providing value to your potential customers.
Reputation Capital Media Services is a Baton Rouge marketing agency that helps B2B companies and their marketing agencies produce high-quality digital content, including blog posts, e-mail newsletters, white papers and multimedia. Our editors and writers are experts in their fields, which include HR technology, employee benefits, and financial services and accounting. Contact us for a free 30-minute consultation to find out how great content can help you attract and retain your customers.
Leave a Reply
Sign Up for Our Email Newsletter
Download the White Paper
- Content Marketing Strategy: An Interview with inSegment President Alexander Kesler
- 5 Steps to Stop Overthinking Your Marketing and Start Testing Something New
- A Year for the Record Books: Looking Back at 2013
- Content Marketing News Roundup: Word of Mouth Edition
- Startup Content Marketing: An Interview with Problemio Founder Alex Genadinik
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011